Friday, August 7, 2026

August 2026

 Our meeting was at Alice's home and she served us a delicious array of fruit, cupcakes and honey-almond cashews. Sandy, Mindy and Susan couldn't make it to the meeting.

Deanna

My first quilt below was made from an ombre jelly roll that was Betsy's. Since I backed it with the turtle fabric I quilted it with a kelp design that I designed after looking at photos of kelp and kelp drawings on the internet. The second quilt used free fabric that I picked up at two different Open Quilting sessions. I outline-quilted the large animals, and quilted the rest in free-motion vines and leaves. The third quilt was made from a batik layer cake sewn into hourglass blocks. All of the quilts will go to the EBHQ Community Quilts.  




Marty


Marty shared her improv quilt that was inspired by watching Karen Lee sit at her sewing machine at Open Quilting piecing together scrap after scrap in what appeared to be random order. This is the result of scraps from her bin of blue fabrics and she notes that it took much longer to create than a planned quilt. The big, dramatic blue and white quilt is made from two layer cake precut packs that from Betsy Livak's stash. The floral quilt has green and white corner stones. The small quilts will go to the community quilts project. The big one still has to be finished.
 






Mary
A friend whose 2 grandkids have baby quilts Mary made asked if she would make a t-shirt quilt for her son’s 40th birthday. Turns out his birthday was a week after the ask! Mary told her the quilt might be ready for him for Christmas! Still trying to figure out how to quilt. Probably fairly simple wavy lines mostly with the occasional UC Irvine anteater and maybe a saxophone thrown in since these are all related to his time there in the band. 

Mary finished the doggy quilt for Debra’s friend’s baby. Mary’s granddaughter likes the back better!






Susan

I am enjoying my time on Oahu and even went fabric shopping here...I am just finishing my Wensleydale quilt top. Here is my photo.


Arleen
I used the yukata scrap bags to make this quilt called 100 yukatas. Not quite 100 yukatas as there are some duplicates.  Linda from Over the Blue Horizon unpicked the fabric from recycled kimono and then sold me the scrap bags of smaller sections.  Lots of seam ripping. The block is made of 6.5x8.5 center with 1.5x8.5 strips sewn on either side of the 6.5 to make a 8.5 inch block. 
I am also making baby quilts for donation.







No comments:

Post a Comment